Thursday, February 10, 2011

Food for Thought

Food for Thought

Proverbs 14:12
“There is a way that appears to be right, but in the end it leads to death. “ (NIV)


I walked through the grocery store loading my cart with brightly colored boxes and packages. Their makers proclaimed these products to be delicious, enriched, fortified, low-cal, free of fats, and fast to fix. The food industry had convinced me that with all their research they could create food that would lead to better health, great culinary pleasures, and satisfaction. A few real foods made it into my cart, but the majority did not resemble any God-made food. My body paid for those choices.

I walked through the world often feeding my mind and spirit with morals and values entertainingly presented in movies, in magazines, in books, on television, or on the internet. These morals and set of values were promoted as more appealing, exciting, enriching, and freeing. I did feed some on God’s word, but the majority of the food for my mind and spirit held little resemblance to God’s truths. How could I expect my spirit to be well nourished?

I’ve changed my grocery shopping habits. Now many God-made foods find their way into my cart. My physical health has improved. I’ve made changes in what I feed my mind and spirit. I spend more time studying God’s word. I am more discerning about choices I make for reading or entertainment. My spiritual health has improved. What joy to be more aware of the presence of God in my life!

My prayer for all of us is that our souls hunger and thirst for God and that we feed our spirits on his word. ( Psalm 42:1-2)

No comments: