Sunday, July 24, 2011

100 years

I still remember my father as a “young man.” He died at the age of 62. Today makes 100 years since he was born. He died on April 3rd 1973 and was buried on my mother’s 58th birthday. What a heritage he left us! Sheralee, Beth, and Jason were the only grandchildren he lived to see. But he still lives on. I see him and hear his voice in my cousin Lyndon Campbell--still have to get used to the grown up name. My sons Matt and Daniel are like him in many ways.

I have many fond memories of working with him on the farm, going to town to the feed store, going to church and picking up neighbor’s children on the way, watching him work algebra word problems “for fun” at night during the winters, and seeing him do Bible study for classes at Currentview. He used to love to sing. I can hear him singing “A Beautiful Life” in our blue, Ford pickup on the way to town. The first line was “Each day I’ll do a golden deed, by helping those who are in need.” I think he really tried to live that line. He was respectful to and friends with the bank president in town and our country drunk. I can remember times when he tried to help that young man who had the drinking problem and how discouraged he felt when it didn’t work. He never failed to tell my mother that she looked pretty when she got dressed up for church on Sunday mornings. I was blessed to have parents who loved each other so very much.


Hope you are having a good summer. Stay cool.




Delores Lee
2 Chro. 16:9 "For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him."

No comments: