Wednesday, February 9, 2011

What's This?

What’s This?

Water - Hexylene glycol-Ethanolamine-Propylene glycol-Soytrimonium chloride-Trisodium-Ethylediamine disuccinate-fragrance-Ethoxydigycol-Oleth 5- CII-14 – Pareth-9 -Oleth-2 -Cocamiodopropyl bethane-Dilnoleic acid- Oleic acid-Erthrobic acid – Polysorbate 20- p-Phenylendiamine- Sodium sulfite-Oleamide MIPA- Resorcinol- C112-15 Pareth-3 –Oleth-10 – Panthenol- EDTA- p-Aminophenol- m-Aminophenol- N,N Bis(2-Hydroxethyl p –Phenylenediamine – Sulfate- 2 Methylresorcinol- 1-Napthol- Ascorbic acid-Tocopherol

I recognized the words water, fragrance, acid, sulfate, and parts of the other words! The package did reassure me that the product was ammonia free. That made me feel much better!

Have you guessed what the product is? If you sneaked a peak at the next paragraph you might have guessed. It is the list of ingredients from the product I bought to give my hair a truly natural-looking color and shine.

Thought I had better warn you—I’m going gray. Notice I didn’t say “I’m getting gray.” I’ve been there for a number of years. Some of you are going to be surprised just how gray I am. I will probably be surprised at just how gray I am! It has been a number of years since I let all the color I put in fade out.


This may be traumatic. I am not one of those with beautiful silver hair. Mine is a mousy-brown turned gray. This is going to call for a really good hair cut. I can’t compensate for the lack of color with make-up. I have given up all but a dab of make-up because the list of chemical ingredients was only slightly shorter than those listed above.

I did some research on “natural” ways to color hair. I bought some henna that is supposed to be a better option but couldn’t handle that by myself. I’m not sure I want to go that route even in a hair salon. In a few weeks when I look in the mirror, I may change my mind. I will also research some “natural” make up products.

I’ve been told that a woman who colors her hair can look ten years younger. I’m thinking by not coloring my hair and being exposed to all those chemicals I might add ten years to my life. I may look older, but I hope to live longer!

2 comments:

Kara said...

My lady here uses organic hair dye and highlighting solutions. They smell better and don't burn... not sure what the difference really is, but you might ask around.

Kerbe Lee said...

Read your blog and I want to tell you that you have my approval, not that you need it, to do your hair as naturally as we are doing the eating and other aspects of a healthy lifestyle. It's not your hair that makes you look 45 as you fast approach 60 (oops, probably shouldn't have stated that where anyone else can see)... it's the lovely, sincere smile; the twinkle in your eyes; the glow of your soft cheeks; the enthusiasm in your voice (except when you're exasperated with me); and just you overall loving, caring countenance. So cut and fix and allow your hair to be whatever it will be, my dear. I will still think you're the prettiest grandma on the planet!