Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Simple Assignment

I listened as a wife related the assignment a counselor had given a couple during their first session of marriage counseling. They were struggling to keep their marriage together, to mend a broken relationship, to deal with deep hurts. Their first “take home assignment” was to spend the time before the next visit practicing being kind to one another.
How often has that been a nice short phrase for memory work in our children’s Bible classes? A simple thing-- right?
Well, it sounded easy. She related what a surprise it was to her to find it so difficult. I would love to say that after hearing her story, I have been kind and compassionate with Kerbe ever since. I think I soon realized how in the wisdom of my creator the “Be kind and compassionate to one another” is followed by “forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.” I need the forgiveness part, because I don’t always make it with the kind and compassionate part!
Sometimes I have to become re-aware of the wisdom of God. He created humanity. He knows the best way for us to live to have peace, harmony, happiness, and fulfillment. It’s not something grand and showy. It may be as “simple” as being kind to one another.



Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. Ephesians 4:32

No comments: